Iowa is committed to providing quality employment and training services to all veterans, transitioning service members, and spouses at our IowaWORKS Centers. This is accomplished by bringing veterans and employers together while capitalizing on the various workforce programs, incentives, and initiatives available in Iowa.
Home base iowa
Home Base Iowa (HBI) is a one-of-a-kind public-private partnership connecting veterans, military personnel and their family members with resources and opportunities in Iowa. A key component of the program is to help connect Iowa Businesses with qualified veterans, transitioning service members and their spouses.
HBI connects veterans and their families with local businesses and community resources through HomeBaseIowa.gov, a portal used to help employers find top talent and build their workforce.
As part of Iowa Workforce Development, the HBI program leverages all the comprehensive job and training services IowaWORKS Centers have to offer and works closely with local Veteran Career Planners and Local Veterans’ Employment Representatives to provide employment and placement assistance.
HOW TO GET STARTED
- Complete your HBI profile on HomeBaseIowa.gov
- An HBI team member will reach out once your profile has been created.
Veteran career planners
Veteran Career Planners (VCPs) are located in most IowaWORKS Centers across the state. VCPs work directly with eligible veterans and other eligible persons by providing individualized career services to prepare for and secure suitable employment. Such services include:
- Comprehensive assessments of skills levels
- Development of an Individual Employment Plan
- Development of job interviewing and resume writing skills
- Provision of individual career planning services
- Assistance with placing eligible veterans in federally-funded employment and training programs
- Referrals to supportive services
HOW TO GET STARTED
- Complete your registration on IowaWORKS.gov
- Potential eligibility for Veteran Career Planner services will be determined during the registration process. This Eligibility Form is a very useful tool in which a veteran/spouse can determine their potential eligibility.
- Visit your local IowaWORKS office
- Regardless of eligibility to work with a Veteran Career Planner, ALL veterans, service members and spouses can take advantage of the no-cost services available at our IowaWORKS Centers including registration into the Home Base Iowa website.
LOCAL VETERANS’ Employment Representatives
Local Veterans’ Employment Representatives (LVER) perform a wide range of duties on behalf of veterans, specifically relating to employer outreach. LVERs advocate for all veterans served by IowaWORKS Centers and promote to employers, employer associations, and business groups the advantages of hiring and retaining veterans. Additionally, LVERs will:
- Facilitate employment, training, and placement services for veterans
- Conduct job search workshops and establish job search groups
- Coordinate with unions, apprenticeship programs, and businesses to promote and secure employment and training programs for veterans
- Inform federal contractors on the process to recruit qualified veterans
Priority of service
Veterans with at least one day of active military service and eligible spouses are entitled to receive Priority of Service. Priority of Service Veterans and Eligible Spouses have the right to take precedence over a non-covered person in obtaining all employment and training services funded, in whole or part, through the Department of Labor (DOL). If you served in the U.S. Military or you are the spouse of a service member, please identify yourself as such to your local IowaWORKS staff.
The Hilton Honors Military Program is available in Iowa, designed to assist veterans, transitioning service members, and qualified spouses with job search activities at least 125 miles away from their current location. As an Honors Military Member, Hilton will donate a maximum of 100,000 lifetime points to support your travel related job search activities. This Iowa Hilton Honors Flyer will give you additional information on how to enroll and initiate the process with your local IowaWORKS Center or the Iowa Workforce Development Hilton Honors point of contact.
Veterans and apprenticeship
For eligible veterans, apprenticeships offer special opportunities. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has contracted with the Department of Education as Iowa’s State Approving Agency (SAA) to approve GI Bill programs. The function of the SAA is to inspect, approve, and supervise qualified educational programs, as well as on-the-job-training and apprenticeship programs. Eligible individuals under the GI Bill may choose to learn by working on the job. The State’s approval is necessary before veterans and other eligible persons can receive their GI Bill benefits. Work experience in the occupation can be counted towards the credits required for skilled worker status.
Veterans’ Preference gives eligible veterans who are applying for employment preference over many other applicants. Veterans’ Preference does not guarantee veterans a job and it does not apply to internal agency actions such as promotion, transfers, reassignments, and reinstatements. Employment with the State of Iowa, Public Work, Counties, Cities, and Schools fall under Veterans’ Preference. For additional information, please visit the Iowa Department of Administrative Services website for Veterans’ Preference.
Additional veteran & employer resources
- Veterans’ Work in Iowa website – to search for job opportunities in Iowa
- How to become a Home Base Iowa business – HBI connects businesses hiring in Iowa with skilled job seekers. HBI Businesses can view resumes submitted by veterans, military personnel, and family members at www.HomeBaseIowa.gov
- HIRE Vets Medallion Program – www.HIREVets.gov -- the only federal-level veterans’ employment award that recognizes a company of organization’s commitment to veteran hiring, retention, and professional development.
Veterans Program Coordinator
Iowa Workforce Development
1000 E Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50319